Monday, January 11, 2021

Get to Know Me... Book Version!

 ***** For reasons I can't figure out, 2 sections of this post have a highlighted background. No matter what I did, I couldn't Make it disappear, so I apologize for that. *****

I thought it would be fun to answer some reading & reading habit themed questions. So, I've compiled a list of questions that I've found, or thought of, to take you behind the pages of my reading self. Here we go...

1. What is my preferred reading method?

I'm a physical books and ebooks kind of reader. Review books I'm sent all come in ebook form, but nothing can replace the actual book.

2. Do I finish a chapter, or can I stop mid-chapter?

My preference is to finish a chapter if I have to stop reading. However, I've been known to stop mid page when I had to. 

3. Do I use a book marker, piece of paper, or dogear pages?

I'm a HUGE bookmarker person!! I have a collection of them that I rotate through. In a pinch, I'll use a receipt, but never do I dogear a page. As I've gotten older, I just can't do it!

4. Do I eat or drink anything while I read?

Yes!! I usually have a cup of hot chocolate and some sort of snack with me as I curl up somewhere to read.

5. Do I like to have anything in the background while I read?

I used to want it as quiet as I could get it while I read. I still do, if I'm reading a classic. This year, though, I've discovered the joy of instrumental music channels on YouTube. So, I often will put one of them on while I read now.

6. Do I read one, or more, book at a time?

I'm a one book at a time kind of girl. When I was younger, I would read 2 if they were different genres, but not anymore.

7. What is my favorite place/places, to read?

For the most part, it's at my house. I'll curl up on a couch or in my bed. I love to read in the car, too. I like reading outdoors, but I get distracted by the surroundings.

8. What are some interesting reading habits I have?

I figured these will be individual posts in the future, but I'll give you a sneak peak. Every physical book I buy has to be the "feel good" one and in perfect condition. I love the smell of books, so I do take a whiff of each one I read. My family will tell you that I get twitchy and grouchy if I don't have a book to read. I'm sure there's more, but let's not overwhelm you so soon. 

9. Do I like to break in a book or keep it in pristine condition?

I can't break the spine of a book. It's a physical thing I can't bring myself to do. Like, it's an issue I have. I like to keep my books in brand new, perfect condition. It makes for interesting book handling, but what can I say? 

10. Do I prefer libraries or bookstores?

Both!! I've been known to check out a book I own at the library. Books I think I'll reread down the road I buy. But I love using both. 

11. Am I mood reader or do I plan ahead what I'm going to read?

I'm a big mood & seasonal reader. During October & December, I plan out a list of books for Halloween & Christmas I read each year, but not the order I read them in. 

12. What was the first book character I connected with, or started my love of reading?

Anne Shirley from the Anne of Green Gables series. I discovered her in junior high and immediately loved her. I related to her always getting herself into trouble- intentionally or not. I was a kid who did that, too. I loved reading about her "scrapes" I mean, who doesn't love when she broke her school slate over Gilbert's head? Or the time she accidentally got her bestie drunk? 

13. What genres do I read?

Fiction, historical fiction, cozy mysteries, middle grade, young adult, teen. thriller/suspense, autobiographies/biographies/memoirs/self-help, Christian non-fiction, Christian fiction & the classics. 

I tend to read a little bit of everything- with a few exceptions: I'm not a SCIFI fan. Nor am I a fantasy fan. I've read a fantasy here and there, but it's not a genre I read a lot of. My reading tastes have changed over the years, so who knows?

14. My preferred time to read...

I can pretty much read any time of the day- whenever I can, really. I do love reading at the end of the day. There's just something I like about pulling back the bed covers and curling up in bed with a book. Also, rainy days are my absolute favorite times to read. I love to curl up by a window as I read. Watching and hearing the rain falling outside while I read a good book is my all time favorite time to read.

15. Am I a fast reader?

Sadly, I don't think I am. I wish I read faster than I do. I think the biggest issue is that I'm a distracted reader. Being a mom of 2 girls and 3 dogs, there's tons of things that pull my attention from what I'm reading. I tend to take breaks in between chapters. 

16. Do I have any go to reading accessories?

I do! A cozy blanket, a cup of hot chocolate, a comfy place to curl up on and my 3 dogs. Nine times out of ten, I'll have most- if not all- of these whenever I read at home. I'll try to take some pictures and post them for you. Oh! if I'm reading a classic, I'll have a dictionary in some form handy.

17. Do I like big books or shorter books? Long or short chapters?

I'm not gonna lie, big books can be intimidating. Ideally, I like books that are around 350 pages. I've had too many times where bigger books took forever to get the plot moving, or started off good only to slow the pace a lot as the pages turned. 

I love smaller chapters. Being a distracted reader, I feel accomplished with every chapter I finish. I'll read either one, but it's a treat when the chapters are small.

18. Do I prefer hardcover or paperback books?

I'll read either one. As I've gotten older, I have a harder time with the small print in the mass market paperbacks, so I've moved away from them a bit. However, but I do love a trade paperback. 

19. Am I a new or used book buyer?

As long as the book is in good condition, I'll do either one!

20. Where is my favorite place to buy books?

Once upon a time there was only one answer to this question: a bookstore. But, now the options are almost limitless. Just about every store you go into has books- even if it's a small selection. So, now I buy them wherever I find one that catches me. I've bought them in Walmart or Target, school book fairs, airports, grocery stores, Sam's Clubs & Costco's. If I find one I'm drawn to, I don't care where it is, I'll buy it if I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reads.. Update 2

  I apologize for being late in getting this post up here. Last half of February had things being done to our house- and then, just life hap...