Friday, January 29, 2021

Favorite Rainy Day Children's Books

 


I live for a rainy day. I get so excited when I find out one is one the horizon. I can't wait to curl up on my couch, next to a window, with a blanket and a big mug of hot chocolate. Reading while listening to rain fall has always been one of my favorite things to do. Whether I'm in my house, a bookstore or even my car- if it's raining, I'm gonna be ready to read. My neck of the woods doesn't get that much rain, so it's a big thing in my house when rain is predicted. 

For some reason, a rainy day brings out the child in me. It's almost like the rain wants to take a walk down memory lane with books that sparked my imagination. So, I thought I'd share some of my favorite rainy day reads with children's books. Grab a blanket, a warm drink and let's go!




The Anne of Green Gables series
By: L.M. Montgomery

I met Anne Shirley in junior high. Anne of Green Gables was the literature book my class was reading. She really is the character that made me fall in love with reading. I couldn't get enough of her "scrapes" and her phrases. She made no apologies for being who she is- odd to everyone else, though she may have been. She had a heart of gold, but pride and stubbornness that would get her in trouble. I mean, who doesn't remember her smashing her school slate over Gilbert Blythe's head? Or the time she accidently died her hair green? Or the time she got her bosom friend (best friend) drunk? But she was also the girl who did what no one thought a scrappy orphan could. 

I lost interest as her character got older since she was no longer my age and relatable to me. But I never lost my love for Anne. One of my reading goals is to finish the series I never got to finish. Other books came along, but Anne's always been the first character to leave an imprint on my reader's heart.




The Mary Poppins series
By: P.L. Travers

I discovered the movie was based off books well into adulthood and immediately set out to read the books that birthed one of my favorite characters. It was interesting to see how the books and the legendary movie differed, but I came to love the magical nanny still. Each chapter was another fun adventure that only an imagination could plan. I've read the first book several times and look forward to to rereading the whole series again, soon. There's nothing like having a tea party on the ceiling or spending time with a dancing cow. Mary Poppins just has a way of turning an ordinary day into one you'll never forget and wish wouldn't end.




Pippi Longstocking
By: Astrid Lindgren

Here's, yet another, book I didn't know came before the movies I loved watching. As a child, one of the television stations would often play one of the Pippi Longstocking movies during the weekend. My little excited self would plop down, right in front of the tv set, ready & waiting for the adventures Pippi would take me on. She was the little girl who lived all alone in a big house, Villa Viillekulka (I had to look up how to spell it.) with her pet horse, Old Man, and her pet monkey, Mr. Neilson. She did the most fun things like wash her floors on skates she made of brushes, turned her bed into a flying bed and outsmarted the local criminals. She was a blast- despite the horrible dubbing from it's original language to English. She always took her best friends, siblings Tommy and Anika, along with her. They even sailed the ocean to rescue her father held prisoner on a remote island. There was just nothing Pippi couldn't do and not make fun!!

I am the proud owner of the movies I grew up loving and the books in the series. They've all been cherished. My daughters will even watch the movies with me- and they always sound perfect on a rainy day.


Well, there are my favorite children's books to read on rainy days. Anyone one of them make for a cozy day with the rain falling outside- even when it's a sunny day, really. These characters will guarantee you fun, laughter and adventure. Happy Reading!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Romance Reads.. Update 2

  I apologize for being late in getting this post up here. Last half of February had things being done to our house- and then, just life hap...